With energy resources running out because of the ever increasing population, people are starting to become more aware about sustainable sources of energy. Also, because of energy resources running out, electricity rates and prices keep rising every month and every year.

LED lighting, because of such problems, has now become a popular choice for many people. Previously, halogen lamps used to dominate the market and were the most popular and top chosen option. From street lights to car headlights, everything used halogen lamps since at that time, LED lighting and downlights were quite expensive. However with the increasing demand for sustainable and energy saving methods, the price of LED downlights has dropped down drastically. They are as affordable as ever. To understand the differences between LED downlights and halogen bulbs, one must know how these types of lighting work and their differences.

Halogen Lamps

The most commonly used lighting option, halogen lamps, consists of filaments made out of tungsten. Argon and nitrogen gas is added in the glass. When energy reaches the halogen lamp, the tungsten filament gets very hot and instantly lights up. The tungsten filament is the source of the lighting. Over time, the tungsten filament melts or evaporates. The light either dims or fuses or bursts. They tungsten filament does not last very long.

LED Downlights

LED downlights do not have any kind of filaments in them. Instead, they produce light when a current is passed through a semiconductor. The semi conductor lights up the Light Emitting Diodes in the downlight which gives off bright white light. Unlike halogen lamps, LED downlights do not fuse and their semi conductor or Light emitting diodes do not melt away.

Halogen Lamps VS LED Downlights

Switching to LED downlights is a great option and very sustainable. Here are a few differences between halogen lamps and LED downlights.

  • Halogen lamps waste a lot of energy. About 80% of the energy it uses is converted to heat which is wasted. The rest of the 20% is converted to light. Whereas with LED downlights, it is the complete opposite. It converts 80% of the energy as light and 20% or less as heat. An LED downlight will use less energy than halogen lamps but they will still end up giving the most bright light than halogen lamps. For example, a 5W lamp will consume less energy but give off double the brightness of light as compared to a 50W halogen lamp. The halogen lamp will consume more energy and give off adequate to normal light.
  • Since halogen lamps waste more than half of the energy which it uses, it adds to the electricity bills and energy costs. LED downlights, on the other hand, help save and conserve energy. They even last longer than halogen lamps, almost for 23 years. Which is why they are a great investment and help save money as well.
  • LED downlights provide a more aesthetic and modern look to the place you install it in. Halogen lamps are just bland in design, nothing too fancy about them.

LED downlights will always win the LED downlight vs halogen lamp war.